Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Eugene Mahoney State Park

The Eugene Mahoney State Park in Ashland, Nebraska is a great place to visit for singles and family. We were there in June 2015. The park has oodles of things for people to do (water park, horseback riding, paddle boats, fishing, crafts, miniature golf, disc golf, theater). You can stay at the lodge or find a campsite for your mobile home or to pitch a tent. Minutes away, you'll also find the Strategic Air Command Museum and Wildlife Safari Park. This was our second visit and we stayed at the lodge.

I love the park for all it offers people to do in the general vicinity. I love being able to stay in the lodge and I generally love the loft rooms. I was particularly thrilled to discover the coffeepot, microwave, and refrigerator in the room during this trip. They were a great convenience for us and I hope they remain. We had two maintenance issues that were handled very quickly—a burned out light bulb and a refrigerator that wouldn’t close. It was hot in the loft bedroom unless we cranked the air conditioner on low. A minor inconvenience.

Housekeeping was very short staffed during the period we were there. As long as I had fresh towels every day, the trash emptied, and the bed was made, I was fairly happy. However, the coffee grounds were never emptied and on the last day housekeeping made the beds but left the pillows on the floor.

There was an issue with the Wi-Fi connection when we arrived. My husband reported it to the lady at the front desk, whose response was, “Well, mine works.” My husband said, “But mine doesn’t.” She said, “Sorry” and returned to her computer, essentially ignoring him. Later I went to the desk when two women and two rangers were there and asked if I needed to do something special to get the Wi-Fi to work. Again, a woman said hers worked. I showed her that mine didn’t. She turned to the park rangers and said, “The Internet’s having problems again.” Both rangers started to assess the situation and by morning it was working.

Now we come to the biggest issue. The restaurant. The food is good. The service isn’t. Dinner our first night there (Thursday) was disappointing for the lack of service. We were seated promptly and promptly ignored. I had to find a server in order to get drinks. (It also surprised me that the drinks weren’t included in the price of the buffet.) A server arrived, took the order, delivered it, and ignored us until she delivered the check…which was incorrect. I couldn’t find her so I took the check to the station and reported the problem to the manager. Minutes later our server returned to the table where my sister-in-law advised her of the incorrect check. She said, “You ordered 3 dinner buffets.” I said, “You gave us a ticket for 4 buffets.” She snapped her padfolio closed and stormed off. At the breakfast buffet on Friday morning, the servers were more on the ball and a manager was onsite. Again, the food was good. On Saturday morning, there was no manager and service was again questionable. I do appreciate that the restaurant recently reopened and there is a learning curve. I do hope the bumps are ironed out quickly.

We would stay at the lodge again in the future.




No comments: