Thursday, August 20, 2015

Strategic Air Command Museum

Two years ago I had the pleasure of visiting the Strategic Air Command Museum in Ashland, Nebraska. We were lucky enough to have a private tour arranged. (Three hours long!) Not only did we get to see all those fantastic aircraft, we got background information and history as well. Though the tour was fantastic, I knew I wanted to experience the museum on my own. I also knew I wanted my grandsons to see it. 

This June we were lucky to be able to go again, this time with all the family. Your first experience outside the museum is the Atlas rockets. Inside, your breath is taken away by the SR-71 Blackbird overhead. We were on our own this time. There were so many planes and in such a wide open space you never felt crowded. The boys (ages 9 and 10) loved it and can't wait to go back. Even our three-year-old granddaughter enjoyed herself. Why? Because there are a lot of interactive displays. There are planes and simulators you can sit inside. Placards explain the history. There's also a great section of science experiment for the kids. 

Whether or not you like aircraft, I'd definitely recommend checking it out. It's a wonderful museum where you can easily spend hours and not realize time has passed. Informative with lots of hands-on stuff for young and old. We'll be going back there again. No doubt about it. 

No comments: